This class teaches a traditional style of Karate that incorporates exercise, stretching, self-defense fighting skills, breathing techniques, and martial arts weapons. Being respectful and courteous is a must in this class.
3 Rules Of The Dojo
- Everyone works
- Nothing is free
- Everyone starts at the bottom
The Way Of The Dojo
- Never talk back to sensei.
- No horse playing during class.
- Do not wear jewelry in class.
- Please use to restroom before class.
- If you arrive late, stand by the side and wait for sensei to bow you in.
- Wear your complete uniform, including a Headband.
- Always bow when entering/exiting the dojo.
- White belts with 3 stripes and up should have all their patches on their uniform.
- No one is allowed to fight without sensei’s permission.
- We are proud to be in Karate.
- We shall always practice and study.
- We shall be quick to seize opportunity.
- We shall always practice patience.
- We shall keep the fighting spirit.
- We shall block soft and hit hard.
- We shall believe nothing is impossible.
- We shall always discard the bad.
- We shall always keep the good.
- We shall be loyal to ourselves, karate and our country.
We are proud to be in Karate.
We shall always practice and study.
We shall be quick to seize opportunity.
We shall always practice patience.
We shall keep the fighting spirit.
We shall block soft and hit hard.
We shall believe nothing is impossible.
We shall always discard the bad.
We shall always keep the good.
We shall be loyal to ourselves, karate and our country.
TERMS USED IN GOJU
karate – empty hand
go – hard
ju – soft
dojo – training hall
shiai – dojo tournament
sensei – teacher (one who has been there before me)
dan – graduate
kyu – student
gi – uniform
obi – belt
kata – form
hajime – start
yame – stop
osu – yes
kako – rest position
rei – bow
sayza – formal kneeling position
tameshiwari – breathing
kiai – yell
kosa – switch feet
kumite – sparring
uke – block
empi – elbow
hiza – knee
go kuro sa – thank you for doing what’s expected
gokurosama deshita – thank you for your efforts
one – ichi
two – ni
three – san
four – shi
five – go
six – roku
seven – shichi
eight – hachi
nine – kyuu
ten – juu
STRIKES & KICKS
haito – ridge hand
kentsui – hammer fist
kote uchi – forearm strike
nukite – spear hand
sieken – fore fist strike
shote – palm heel strike
shuto – knife hand strike
ureken – back fist
mae geri – front kick
mawashi geri – round house kick
tobi mae geri – leaping front kick
yoko geri – side kick
ushiro geri – back thrust kick
THE ANIMALS OF GOJU
Power, Tenacity, King of the Beasts.
Much Like the GOJU spirit of never giving up
Speed, Totally alert and totally at rest.
From being totally relaxed comes complete softness, and from complete softness comes total hardness.
Rhythm, Endurance, Suppleness.
Master of escape, escape today to fight again tomorrow.
Balance, Grace, Self-Control and Patience.
The crane will remain completely still, then when the moment is right, strike with incredible accuracy to spear its prey.
Wisdom, Benevolence, Endurance.
The ability to ride the wind.
It has all the attributes of all the other animals.
Tsunami Dojo © 2017